Sunday, October 03, 2010

Huet Vouvray Le Mont Sec 1995

There are aspects of working and living here that I would have trouble trading. A couple of days ago, one of my bosses brought a paper bag full of fresh ceps and a few chanterelles. I love wild mushrooms. I made a risotto and chose a wine that I thought would be ideal.

Golden and aged, with depth and brilliance and some edges of green.

Beeswax pervades on the nose, coating grist and porridge that slowly turn to roasted limes. It's quite heady and mature with an enticing savoury-ness. The odd sniff shows of a touch of mint. It takes awhile to get to this. I plead patience. It needs to breathe a wee bit. There's a touch of mustiness and age that disappears after a bit of air.

I love old Chenin Blanc. The palate is remarkably textured - rich, honey-roasted limes with rolled oats and demerara sugar. The structure comes from an acidity that begins subtly and then asserts itself on the finish. All the flavour seems to radiate from it. It reminds me a touch of a good old dry oloroso or palo cortado in that there's always a suggestion of sweetness that comes from the richness and honeyed aspects of both the nose and the start of the palate but then there's no sweetness on the finish. It's gloriously dry and lengthy, and immensely versatile with all manner of food. It was perfect with the risotto.

*****
Tasted 1/10/2010 at Shorehead

2 comments:

Chris & Caroline said...

Had this wine with dinner at the Landau and it was AMAZING! On asking for the details to take home we were given this blog to read and it is dead on... now we just need to find it for our own rack.

Richard said...

It's one of my favourites at the moment - thinking of getting one for Christmas. Very flattered the Landau recommended the blog for you as well. I know Luvians in Scotland stock it, but I'm not sure about merchants down south. Hope the meal was good.