Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Fernando de Castilla Aged Amontillado

Honestly? I don't taste enough sherry. I don't. So here's some more.

Lovely light caramel colour.

Salted smoked almonds, toffee, vanilla and a whole mess of woodspice. It just smells awesome, really. No coaxing necessary, though I do want to linger over it at length.

Toffee popcorn and wood varnish on the palate? Sound weird? Good, maybe it will scare you away and leave more for me. This has such gorgeous poise and balance, at once rich and as light as a feather. Toasty, nutty, long and elegant.

*****

Tasted 5 November 2012 at The Sampler.


Buy My Book. Please.

1 comment:

Chris McDowall said...

Drinking more fortified wine in general is one of my more enjoyable goals at the moment. Getting free from the sticky grip of Pedro Ximenez is tough stuff, though.

Sounds like there's an element of salted caramel in there. I'll keep an eye open for a bottle.