Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Chablis William Fevre 2005

Colour: very pale yellow with edges of green and gold.

Nose: citrus zest and fantastic flinty, chalky, minerality that suggests a hint of smoke.

Palate: everything the nose promises but more - the fruit is tightly knit, moreish but not sweet, held in line by fantastic minerality that leads to a long and complex finish. This is intelligent drinking wine. And if you know what I mean by that, then you'll like it too. To think of the rubbish Aussie/Kiwi/Southern French/Anywhere-In-The-World chardonnay that you could pay more for that would be samey, oaky, vanilla bollocks. I like this wine. I will drink more of it. But not tonight.

***** (Remember on the third note of this blog I said that star ratings are relative to the wine - this is no Montrachet, nor do I claim it is, but for a basic Chablis this is a gem, and worth five stars)

Tasted 13/9/2006 at Manuel House

No comments: